Uncategorized

Details

I’ve decided I need to do more hand sewing on my garb.  The devil is in the details, as they say.  My long term goal is to sew and entire gown by hand.  For now I’m pretty satisfied with just hemming the sleeves and the binding at the neck.  Here’s what I did.

First, I took a strip of the linen that the gown is made of.  I pulled threads out until I had enough lengths to thread my needle with.  (I know that I’ve seen this technique, using thread from the garment to sew it up, somewhere on the web but for the life of me I can’t remember where.  If anyone out there has a link or a website, please share!!!)

Right side of the sleeve

I’m pretty please with my stitching.  It’s not as event as I’d like but practice makes perfect so I’ll just have to keep practicing!  I used the same technique on the neckline, (pulling thread from the existing fabric) but I don’t plan on doing it for the hem at the bottom of the gown.  Not on this dress anyway.  I’m not confident enough in my hand sewing to believe that any hem I make by hand that hits the ground can stand up to that kind of punishment!  I’ll post a picture of the finished garment once the hem is done.

2 thoughts on “Details

  1. It tried my patience a bit, too. The linen was a bit slubby so that meant the thread was slubby, too! Every once in awhile I'd have a fat chunk of thread then it would go back to being all normal. I'm not sure I'd want to do it on anything bigger.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s